General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

crossed jumper cables by accident- now no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
overflow29
Unregistered
Default crossed jumper cables by accident- now no power

ok.. it was cold n dark.. rushing to jumpstart my 99 accord ex v6 coupe off my friends car.. i accidently crossed the jumper cables n then.. nothing.. something smoked but was in the car when it happened so i didnt see where it came from. now there is no power to nothing. i checked the fuses and they are all ok... replaced the battery and the same thing. no power what so ever(no door lights, the light around the key, nothing).. cant figure out whats wrong.. someone mucst have done this before.. please help.. i need my baby back..

Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 PM

You need to check the main fuse first (not sure if this is the Honda name for it?)

Look inside the fusebox again, there is a main fuse, probably rated around 80-100 amps. It will be secured to the incoming positive battery lead by phillips head screws. This is the first line of defense against electrical shorts. You might need to look more closely, the main fuses appear differently than the smaller ones. It is a little tougher to tell they're "blown" unless you have seen one before. In a pinch you could substitute a 60 or 80 amp unit from an auto parts store until you can find the proper one. The parts store never seem to have the higher rated units on the shelf.

If the main fuse is blown, you'll have no power to anything, it disconnects the battery from the fusebox.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Did you have the (+) cable on the battery post & the (-) cable on a chassis or engine ground? If so, then the fuse won't protect you. Possibly one or the other end of the ground cable is burned. There's 2 ground cables, one from the battery to the car body, other from the body to the engine. So there's 4 cable-ends to check. On the 4-cyl that body-engine cable is located at the left-side engine mount, but I'm not sure about the V-6.