General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fluid leaking from seal between engine and transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Default Fluid leaking from seal between engine and transaxle

I have a 1999 Accord LX 4 Cyl with about 130000 miles. This weekend I bought a hydraulic jack and some jack stands so I could have a look under the car myself for the first time. One of two things I noticed was that there appears to be a substantial amount of fluid leaking from the join between the engine and the transaxle.

Here is a pic:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11024...23640896376626
I can get more if necessary.

I've checked the fluid levels:
  1. Oil - engine oil level is currently ok but the motor appears to use it in moderate amounts, perhaps a quart every three or four gas tanks.
  2. Anti-freeze - coolant level is currently ok, but the car seems to consume quite a bit of that as well, perhaps a quart every five or six tanks. Color appears to be normal in the radiator, but it might be a little off in the resevoir. It's hard to tell.
  3. Transmission fluid - level is normal.
Any ideas what is going on here? Is this normal? If not, what might it take to get this fixed?

ETA: I figure it's probably unrelated, but here is a link to another post I made today concerning what appears to me to be a separate issue, but just in case it isn't I'll post it here anyway: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...26/#post297895

Last edited by Gearson; 09-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 PM

It is your oil seal leaking. It is busted. I replaced mine a few months ago. I believe it was either $10 or $19, can't recall. To do this you would need to take off your axle. I did some research and came to the conclusion that I would rather want to get mine from the dealer instead of autozone or oreillys, or any of those stores just to be on the safe side.

The link you posted isn't it. There is a seal that goes between the transmission and the axle.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That's engine oil but don't assume the leak originates right there. Obviously the oil's going to flow to the lowest spot on the engine/trans. Take another look to see if it's leaking from another point up higher. Pay particular attention to the back of the block. It may be worth it to put the car up on jack stands, clean up oil, start the engine, and crawl underneath to pinpoint the leak.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roader
That's engine oil but don't assume the leak originates right there. Obviously the oil's going to flow to the lowest spot on the engine/trans. Take another look to see if it's leaking from another point up higher. Pay particular attention to the back of the block. It may be worth it to put the car up on jack stands, clean up oil, start the engine, and crawl underneath to pinpoint the leak.
You're right, maybe it is coming out where the distributor clicks in. Thats the only spot i could think of engine oil coming out.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Default oil leak above transaxle

I am having the same problem. slow oil leak when car is off, slightly faster when running, but almost a steady stream when tires are spinning. I cannot locate where the oil is leaking from but I can see it is coming down from the top of the transaxle. please tell me you found out how to stop the leak.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

So is yours leaking engine oil or transmission fluid?
Can you clean it up & pinpoint the location of the leak?
What year/model/engine/transmission is YOUR car?
(trying to figure out if it's really the same as this year-old thread)

Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Almost A Senior Member

What's in the back of those engines?
- Oil temperature sensor ... those are a common source of leaks
- vtec solenoid ... but only on a VTEC engine
- distributor O-ring or internal seal ...

You should be able to see a distributor leak from the top of the engine. Shine a light under the distributor area to see if it is pooled with oil. There is also a wiring harness that runs under the dist cap ... if that has oil on it then maybe the dist internal seal is leaking oil from inside and out through the cap.

The VTEC and oil temp sensor are on the back side of the engine block ... if you have VTEC it's on the passenger side, and you can reach around and feel the block under it to see if it's oily.

I think the oil temp sensor is directly above the oil filter. Again, feel the block above the oil filter to see if that's oily.

Also check the oil filter just in case ...