General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas mileage gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Default RE: gas mileage gone?

throttle body spacers on smaller engines are like shooting a red rider BB gun at a cow.... sometimes they jump and it's often entertaining to do but it really occomplishes nothing and after a while it's just annoying... My friend has one and it did nothing except since his had a small hole in the side it makes an annoying squeeling noise.... no change to fuel mileage though... Here's a page that gives a brief general explination to "why they work" supposedly... Long/Short of that article, it's supposed to keep the air cooler...and on older vehicles it really did help by insulating the carberator from the engine and thus the carb stayed cooler... New cars small engines.... worthelss...

http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/p...sku=PhenolicTB

FPR: no idea...

Sorry I didn't understand your question to begin with.... Didn't know you were tracking your fuel mileage via a gas gauge.... Have you ever tried to actually calculate it?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:15 PM

You must track your gas mileage over several tanks to obtain actual numbers or you're just guessing. That means divide the gallons used into the miles traveled. You need some hard numbers to work with.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 PM

no; because i'm trying to find a guage cluster that works all the time. which could be some of it. because as some of you know VTEC is run partially by the guage cluster.
but i still want better after i get it working correctly.

so thanx for the articale!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The throttle body spacer is basically worthless, most people put it in cause its like using the vornado (the stupid little insert that gives you a bs 20hp more) And if you have an after market intake you are getting your bonus from that. BUT you would have to change your throttle cables i believe because I doesnt just bolt up like nomal your adding an inch in there which your stock throttle cables arent made for.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 AM

just for an update. i get 29 hwy, 25 city.
thats with 200,000 miles on the motor and the mods i've done to it.[sm=groupwave.gif]