General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:17 AM

Thanks TexasH, i'm not so sure it was in the tubes itself as I was mostly curious why the tubes were oil wet on the outside and just put them back in. I had changed some plugs a while back on a Jetta and its tubes were isolated. If I were to find inner oil seepage i'm assuming the tube seals are around the plugs down low where they screw into the head and are a ring type?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have never removed a tube from head, but have seen many cases of tube/valve cover leaks. Seals get hard w/ age.

I suspect tubes are pressed into head (seen this on other makes, but shop manual does not show tubes as a separate-able part of cylinder head.

good luck

Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I have never removed a tube from head, but have seen many cases of tube/valve cover leaks. Seals get hard w/ age.

I suspect tubes are pressed into head (seen this on other makes, but shop manual does not show tubes as a separate-able part of cylinder head.

good luck
Thank you again buddie This is great info and very helpful. Really to all also as its one of the nicest forums iv'e come across.
Today didn't work out like I planned but just collecting as much info as I can before I have a full days commitment to work on some of its issue's.
These Honda's are sure interesting as to how they are setup, as its my first "import" to boot

Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Here's 2 more pictures, for the question about oil in the sparkplug tubes.

For the LX (non-VTEC) they're not "tubes" pressed into the head. That's on the VTEC engine as far as I know.

The picture of the valve covers, your LX is on the left. The upper tube seals are #7, and there's one on each tube. They are generally considered to be part of the valvecover gasket and that's how easy they are to change.

The lower tube seals are actually O-rings (#19 in the other picture) fit between the head and the camshaft bearing caps. To replace them, you have to remove the rockers & bearing caps. Big job. I would try the upper seals first, before taking all the valve gear apart. If you have to go back & do the lower seals, then the upper seals are pretty new and still flexible when you R&R them again.

PS. Before doing the LOWER seals, make sure you have the tightening sequence & torque for the cam caps.

Attached Thumbnails General Help-1996-cylhead-cover.gif   General Help-1996-cyl-head.gif  

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-01-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Just saw the pic diagrams. Thanks so much JimB
This is really was I needed to see and explained, much appreciated buddie