General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
ximportxenx
Unregistered
Default Head Leak

Hey everyone, i am new here and just ran in to a problem with my 1988 Honda Accord LX-i head gasket. The thing is i just took apart the motor a little to change any major gaskets just cause some needed it and now that i put motor back together my car idles up down from 800rpm 2 2700rpm (could this be because i took off the pipe goin from intake to exhaust?)and i have oil coming from the headgasket i torqued it right and everything if u would like videos pics anything to help you to help me im willing to do so. Thank You a lot to any one that can HELP!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Default RE: Head Leak

If you've got oil coming from the headgasket (not the valve cover) then don't run the car anymore, make sure your oil isn't milky white and no rainbow looking stuff is floating in your coolant. Pull the head, clean the surfaces really well (don't gouge them though...) put a new gasket in, change the oil, change the coolant and re-assemble everything.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Was the head "shaved" before installation? I once got to redo a head gasket job because of failed seal between cylinders (same place original leak occurred). I would not re-installa head w/o a machine shop prep to insure a perfectly flat head.

If you worked by yourself previously, I would suggest either getting a partner to help land the head very carefully, or using a thin wood block on one end to temporarily support head above gasket as you land the head over the guide pins on the other end. You don't want to accidentally bounce the head on the gasket trying to land the head over all the pins at once.

I hope you didn't replace the head gasket because of mileage. HG doesn't "wear out"and can be used as long as it's not leaking.

good luck

Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
ximportxenx
Unregistered

Ichanged the head gaskets becauseI was changing every other gasket,why change all but one, u know. That iswhyI changed the head gasketwhen it didn't need it. So the head shouldn't be warped at all thatI would need to senditin "Right?" All I should do is just clean the area very good and put new gasket in.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

cause there is a very good chance the head gasket would have Never gone bad no matter how many miles you put on it. now you have a big problem. new gasket, deck the head, use the proper torque and bolting pattern now.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

cause there is a very good chance the head gasket would have Never gone bad no matter how many miles you put on it. now you have a big problem. new gasket, deck the head, use the proper torque and bolting pattern now.
That was my next question... did you follow the proper torque specifications and order when you put it back on?