General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 1987 LX -- Turns off after 4-5 seconds of being on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Default Honda Accord 1987 LX -- Turns off after 4-5 seconds of being on.

Hello,

As titled above my car turns off after 4-5 seconds after initially turning it on. I low fuel, but it is not near the empty line.

Here is what I know for sure not to be the problem:

-Battery (I got just got a new batterry at Walmart over the summer, and my cd player and lights work.... Not electrical then right?)

-New starter (I replaced the starter with a refurbished one, and it turns on instantly for the past two to three weeks or so).

Can anyone point me to the right direction as to why my car shuts off? In my dashboard the battery symbol lights up, and so does the oil symbol (oil can I think).

Thank you,

Honda Enthusiast

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

87 LX is carb. So I have a few more questions.

Starts and dies...does it restart and do the same thing. Can you keep it running. Did this start all at once.

Fuel level in the carb? Sight glass, from drivers/left fender you should be able to see-air cleaner has to be removed or lifted. Are the fuel filters good-two-one under the hood @ brake master, other behind the drivers/left rear tire.

A few more clues/answers to some of these will help in getting to the issue.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 PM

Hello,

My car is fuel injector. It does not restart, it just sputters off. Now, it sputters off in 1-2 second, even shorter than before. It all started this morning. I haven't checked the fuel pumps, I am not sure how to. I am going to get a Haynes repair car manual, perhaps it has pictures of this.

The only thing I did last night, when parking, was I parked it slanting downward on small elevated hill. Could this be related to gas? My Gas is a little more than E, but that has never given me problem...

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

You can add a gallon of gas just to be sure that your gauge is working properly.

Are the maintenance items up to date like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and spark plugs? A worn out maintenance item can cause starting problems and make diagnosing the problem more complicated.

Also, turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Can you hear the fuel pump turn on for about two seconds during the clicks from under the dash? It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so make sure that the radio is turned off, etc to help you hear it.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry. Was going with carb issue cause of the LX....the LX-i is FI.

Do as PA suggested. Also be sure the CEL comes on for a few seconds and then goes off. The fuel pump is a breeze to get to on these (at least the 4 dr). If you can't get the manual-check the DIY section for ones you can download- let me know...I can walk you thru getting to it for testing and or replacement from memory.....yes, I've had to test/replace one or two on mine.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 PM

Hello,

I put in 5 liters of gas and presto it is working. Thank you oh so very much!!!

So, this is my first car, and I always thought that if I check my engine oil level, power steering fluid level, brake fluid and coolant liquid on a regular basis nothing would go wrong. I learned this through my car manual...

I don't know what distributor cap, distributor rotor is... I have a vague idea of what fuses are... Are these usually checked by the mechanic when I do an oil change... Is there a bible for cars that lets the basic user know what exactly in a car needs to be checked on a regular basis? What book is there that allows me to learn to take greater control of my car.

Also, would it be a good idea for me to get a Hanes repair manual for my car...?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

The online manuals thread in the main DIY section has a couple of links where you can download a 86-89 shop manual. That will have all the relevant maintenance items and procedures with pictures. It is much better than a Haynes manual, IMO.