General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

how to remove timing belt top cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Default another problem....

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
A cautionary comment. Be very careful when working near the open upper timing belt cover. If you drop anything into the timing belt cavity, there is good possibility of damage if object is not removed. Removal is a big job requiring removal of cranshaft pulley and lower timing belt cover.

good luck
The front bolt of the TB upper cover is lost thread, probably I tighten it too much last time I remove. How can I get it out? Any idea.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Two suggestions:

1) Use a dremel tool to cut around the upper timing belt cover to release the cover. Once cover is removed (find a used replacement), I think you can remove bolt by prying (grind a slot in a cheap chisel and bend as necessary) underneath and turning at same time.

2) Grind bolt head off to allow cover to be removed. Use vise grips to grab remaining bolt stub and pull/turn to remove. Hopefully, it's the front lower bolt and not the one near the camshaft sprocket, which will likely interfere w/ removal.

Option 2) seems less damaging. Worst case and you can't remove the bolt. Just grind head flush and install cover w/ remaining bolt.

If you can get the bolt out, you'll need to drill, retap, and install a thread insert to fully restore. Best leave this to a shop w/ experience. This is not a job to "learn".

You might check the removed bolt threads. If they are damaged, they may be the source of the problem rather than the tapped hole threads. New bolt may work OK.

good luck