General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent failure to start. 92 Accord wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

High NO can mean clogged EGR ports. There is a link to do this on the 90-93 accords in the common diy threads on top of the gen tech help forum.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Good idea on the EGR ports. They are a buck a piece at my local dealer, and easy to do. Today I changed the PCV, plugs, wires, and valve cover gasket. I'll do the cat and O2 sensor when the cat arrives. Cap and rotor are new a few months ago when I changed the distributor. When I pulled the plug wires, all four were soaked with oil, and one plug was loose. So this could be one cause for the bad emissions test.

I went to the wreckers today and bought an ECU and fuel pump relay from a smashed accord. ECU was a PT6-A52. I asked the local honda dealer to make sure it will work, and they said yes. First I put the new relay in, and nope, same problem. So I put the ECU in, nope, same problem. So here I sit scratching my head. I'm gonna recheck the battery connections and borrow my buddy's alternator. maybe the voltage regulator is wonky on start up and causing some problem. I'm also thinking possible key switch or switch harness problem.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

When you changed the valve cover gasket, did you replace the upper seals that go over the spark plug tubes? Those seals can cause your problem.

There is another set of seals that require a bit more work. Search wYU8qtPzQOY on YouTube for a video on how to do those lower seals.

You can try to replace the upper seals and see if the problem goes away. If not, then try the lower seals.

Is the check engine light still staying turned on when it is not starting? Did you try to check for codes again?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I did the upper spark plug seals, but not the lower. I will be periodically checking the tubes for oil.
The engine light is still on when it won't start. No ECU codes though. But if the D4 light flashes I get TCU codes. The D4 light doesn't flash every time, just once in a while.

Thanks PA, I really appreciate your help

Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here is another recent post with the same TCU codes you have. Transmission shop is telling this member that the TCU is the problem.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...4-light-42044/

Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, I think I got the no start figured. I put a 3rd fuel pump relay in, and so far it starts every time. Here's hoping.
Now I'm off for my emissions retest.
Thanks again guys.

Craven