General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Default leaking fluid

Hello

I am new to the forum and a new honda owner as well. I bought a 1995 accord EX automatic with 135000 miles for $3000. At the time of purchase the car had no apperent problems except a bad motor in the rear driver door (now fixed) However upon my return to my house and a carwash in my drive way I noticed some type of fluid it has a red haze but very dirty and is coming from underneath my car and looks as if it is dripping down from the top of the transaxle I have experience with RWD cars (camaros) and know that the fluid is transmission fluid but where it could be leaking from is a mystery to me I have no experience with front wheel drive cars except changing intakes exaust neon raidos ect.. I think it is the seal connecting the engine to the transaxle but I am not sure and before I take it to a mechanic I would like to know what the problem might be and how much it will cost to fix it my self and if I am capable or should I spend a small fortune for a mechanic to do it I am a bagger at a grocery store and do not make much so any help would be great

Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: leaking fluid

before we can give you a proper reply,, we ned to know where the leak is coming from,,

could be trany fluid ?? axle seal? cooler hoses? tranny fluid low??
if leak is on top of tranny could be engine oil.. distr o-ring? valve cover gasket?

if you cannot see the leak from the top, try to get under the car to determine the origine of the leak,,,

Another thing that you can do is to wash the area real good and add some oil dye , let it run for a few hrs and see where the dye shows at ..

Or just have a shop take a look at it and give you an estimate,, they should look at it free of charge ,,

Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Default RE: leaking fluid

well I got under there today and for some reason there was no more leak. Do the accords have a valve that opens when there is to much fluid put into the tranny? It just seems weird that the leak stopped all of the sudden. I drove about 40 miles today and no leak at any stops, but im still considring taking it to a honda dealership to get it looked at if it is free i will call tomarrow. The leak looks as if it is comming from where the tranny connects to the engine from the top however i cannot pin point the leak at this time i looked from the top down into the engine and could not see a thing with out having to remove the intake and a few other various parts which i did not have the time to do this morning.