General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Honda Makes Scary Noises :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My Honda Makes Scary Noises :(

Hi all,
I have a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe LX with 110k on it. She recently had her timing belt, serpentine belt, and water pump changed. About two weeks after, when we started the car up in the cold, she was making a noise akin to " RRRRRRRRR". We went to the mechanic who told us it was probably the heating fan going bad. THe noise has gotten worse. After you sit with the car for about 10 minutes, and you drive it it goes away. We have yet to have the cash to fix this issue, so the issue has grown worse to the point where the car simply makes the noise after sitting idle in even warmer weather ( 44 degrees at day, 30 at night). Another thing I have noticed is that if I start the car up and drive without warming her up, she stalls when it is time to switch gears. I rarely ever do this, but the two times it has happened, it's been terrifying. I would love some thoughts as to what is going on. Is my mechanic a crazy liar? Am I paranoid? Please, help!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

If it were the ventilation fan, it should make the noise when you turn the key to ON but don't start the engine.

The only other thing would be to move around the car & try to pinpoint the location of the noise.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Rats! That's definitely not it then, the car

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The car only makes the bad RRRR noise when I turn it on

Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I should add the sound magnifies when I turn the steering wheel

Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

AHA! Power-steering pump?

Look for the PS fluid foaming up in it's reservoir.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll have my man friend look. We are taking it to the mechanic Tuesday ( payday) and I am having nightmares that it's going to take the cost of my car to make the bad noise stop. But I'm starting to have a continuing shred of hope that this will be a few hundred dollars versus the financial violation that a transmission will cost.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi All,
I posted about my car making scary noises a while ago, and was then, incidentally, too poor to have it fixed. The car has since progressed to giving me the fiscal F U and the following has been replaced: Back brakes, front tires, AC recharge, starter, and spark plugs and coils. I have also had the car show me a " check engine" light twice, but since then the light would disappear. Now, the situation has developed further. I've been noticing the car was not holding a charge very well ( i.e. the lights would flicker, the car would barely come on when I let her sit overnight), and so I took her to the mechanic today. I assumed it was likely my battery cables/alternator, and so I brought her in to be fixed. According to the mechanic, my car is not idling well ( i.e. the arrow dips below the 2' mark, or 3' mark, or whatever), and this is because there is some tube that is dealer only, between the air filters, that is ripped, and the throttle body is dirty. What what WHAT is he talking about? am I about to be ripped off mega?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 AM

have the mechanic chk the suction hose o-ring on the p/s pump
to replace timing belt an a v6 , some techs remove the hoses from the p/s pump. if they did not install new o-rings that could be your noise
as for the ripped tube, try the poor man fix ,,Duct tape,, and hope it will help