General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start electrical issue - would this cause it? Best way to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No start electrical issue - would this cause it? Best way to fix?

Hi-

I have a '95 Honda Accord, and it's not starting. Turn the key and it's just silence. I suspected that my battery was dead, but when I went to hook up my battery charger, and I put the red wire to the battery, and the black wire metal, it wasn't detecting that the circuit was closed. If I disconnected the battery from the car, and just hooked the battery up by itself, it was fine and it said that the battery was full.

There were no blown fuses, but I did some digging and I found that the piece of metal that was holding my (I think) A/C Compressor Clutch Relay and Condenser Fan Relay, must have rotted off, and they were covered in muck near the power steering pump (which is leaking like crazy).

It looks like the wires broke on one of them.
Name:  3mZMTPS.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  1.48 MB

Name:  IliWcDR.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  1.42 MB

My questions:

1. I'm assuming that this would cause it not to start? How can I confirm? I have a multimeter, but I'm still learning when and how to use it.

2. What would be the best way to repair it? From the wire colors, I think that the one with the broken wire is the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay. Should I solder them back together to fix it? Or replace a section of wiring completely?

3. My ground cable looks pretty shoddy... I'm assuming that the relay wires are what's causing it not to start, but is the ground cable bad enough that it would be a likely culprit as well?

Name:  wkEqAgK.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  97.7 KB

I don't have a garage, and I live in New England where it's still crazy cold outside, so I'm looking to try to fix the no start issue as quickly and painlessly as possible, so I can drive it to my friend's garage to fix it better. I'm still really new at this stuff, but I'm trying!

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

For A/C compressor clutch relay wiring, it is better to splice in a new section of wire where the damage is, since some wire strands appears to be broken. --Disconnect negative battery cable before attempting the repair. The A/C compressor clutch wiring should not be the cause of the no start condition. That damaged wire looks to be the Wht power wire coming from under-hood Fuse No. 34.

What ground cable is that in your picture?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If I'm following the wires correctly, it should be the one from my battery to my starter. Here's a zoomed out picture for more context. I'm looking down between my battery and my radiator hose.

Name:  tCjTkSz.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  952.8 KB

Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

The only battery cable going to the starter is a power (+) cable.

The battery ground cables go to the chassis at G1 and the transmission at T4.

Verify again the cable. It does look like some cable strands are possibly damaged.

Attached Thumbnails No start electrical issue - would this cause it?  Best way to fix?-negative-battery-cables.jpg   No start electrical issue - would this cause it?  Best way to fix?-starter.jpg