General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced starter, SRS light was on now it's off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Default Replaced starter, SRS light was on now it's off.

I replaced my starter the other day and the car seems to be working just fine now. It's a 97 Accord SE 4 cylinder automatic,Non-Vtec, 240,000 miles. I was headed to town today and as I'm driving along the SRS light comes on and stays solid yellow. I didn't see any flashes. I ran my errands and was going to use my basic scanner to get a code when I got home. I came out from lowes and was going to head home and now the light is off. I ran a scan and it showed nothing. I assumed the car would save a code it threw and it may, but my scanner is a VERY basic $30 scanner from sears that might not read a saved code. It's really just to get a code number and that's all. I did have the battery out of the car for about 36 hours if that matters? I have an aftermarket stereo so no radio code was needed.

Anyone care to have a go at what is happening? Thank you.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM

more info. The car seems to struggle a small bit when starting. I've started and stopped it a few times but before I did I connected my battery charger to see what % the battery was at, but I did not charge it. It showed it was about 78% full and was in the green marking on my meter. I assume thats enough but I don't know now if the battery is causing my issues or if it's another part going bad. The alternator is also the original so I might take that out tomorrow and get it tested at the auto parts store.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Your code(s) still should be stored.

Your scanner probably cant read the SRS codes.

You can check your codes the OBD1 way on your car too. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help section has instructions on how to check engine codes. The only difference is that you count the SRS light flashes.

The SRS codes are two part codes, so if you counted 3, 5, 5, 1 flash pattern, you would have two codes, 3-5 and 1-5.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Your code(s) still should be stored.

Your scanner probably cant read the SRS codes.

You can check your codes the OBD1 way on your car too. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help section has instructions on how to check engine codes. The only difference is that you count the SRS light flashes.

The SRS codes are two part codes, so if you counted 3, 5, 5, 1 flash pattern, you would have two codes, 3-5 and 1-5.

Thank you for the link, I'll see if I can get a code that way. Do you think this is related to the battery or alternator? I don't know much about cars and even less about airbags.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea if it is related. The best way to diagnose is to get the code, then start going through the possible causes for that specific code.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM

looks like it was the battery as it was bad as was the starter. The alternator passed the test so it's going back in. Thank you for everyones help. You guys helped me thru a sticky situation.