General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retractable Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Default Retractable Headlight problem

We have a 1989 Accord LX withe the retractable headlights, we were replacing one side and when we re-connected the fuses we have one up and one down!

Tried a few things but still have issue - would appreciate any tips!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 AM

My Starion uses vacuum to flip up and down the headlight, i found cracked hose before not making it to operate correctly. Don't know if Honda used the same set up or not.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Thank you, no they use a motor which you can disengage by removing the fuses and using a manual crank. We had fuses out and did have to crank the motor to align the new linkage.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

So if you hit the switch on the dash, do they "flip"-one up one down the other way? Or does the one that didn't work stay still?

Up power is the WHT/BLU...down is WHT/YEL.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Hey guys. I had a problem when installing a new headlight on the right side. I was in an accident and had to hammer out the fender rail and fender well. I removed many components to do so. When I finally got the headlight and headlight motor installed, I plugged it and tested it before I completely reassembled all the components. The moter and headlight were used so I figured I would test them before everything went back together. This is where I made my mistake. My symptom was that the when I turned on the headlights, the right headlight (battery side) kept going up and down over and over. Same when I turn the headlights off. Had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. Also no light out of either headlight. (the left headlight retracted perfectly). Upon further investigation, I discovered that the motor was not operating in up/down but was operating in up only. Since the lever and joint are circular, it appeared that the motor was operating in up/down but is was only going up continuously which in turn made the headlight go up and down.
After checking voltages and relays, fuses and the retractor control unit. I found out through the shop manual that the ground for the system is through two small modules mounted under the fuse box( which i had removed and not reconnected). This ground is a module to body ground by way of a bolt. The modules are small and off white and are mounted to the same bracket that the fuse box is mounted to. They look like plugs. They are grounds G201 and G202 in the manual.
After I bolted these things back up, my right headlight began to retract perfectly. Both headlights came on and everything was back to normal. So if anyone is having this problem, check the grounds.
I have had alot of help from these forums so I just wanted to throw this out there because it took me aloooong time to figure this out(with Gods help ....). It was a big headache. Hope this helps. Good luck everyone.

Last edited by romanjcg; 05-28-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for coming in and giving extra advise

Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by romanjcg
Hey guys. I had a problem when installing a new headlight on the right side. I was in an accident and had to hammer out the fender rail and fender well. I removed many components to do so. When I finally got the headlight and headlight motor installed, I plugged it and tested it before I completely reassembled all the components. The moter and headlight were used so I figured I would test them before everything went back together. This is where I made my mistake. My symptom was that the when I turned on the headlights, the right headlight (battery side) kept going up and down over and over. Same when I turn the headlights off. Had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. Also no light out of either headlight. (the left headlight retracted perfectly). Upon further investigation, I discovered that the motor was not operating in up/down but was operating in up only. Since the lever and joint are circular, it appeared that the motor was operating in up/down but is was only going up continuously which in turn made the headlight go up and down.
After checking voltages and relays, fuses and the retractor control unit. I found out through the shop manual that the ground for the system is through two small modules mounted under the fuse box( which i had removed and not reconnected). This ground is a module to body ground by way of a bolt. The modules are small and off white and are mounted to the same bracket that the fuse box is mounted to. They look like plugs. They are grounds G201 and G202 in the manual.
After I bolted these things back up, my right headlight began to retract perfectly. Both headlights came on and everything was back to normal. So if anyone is having this problem, check the grounds.
I have had alot of help from these forums so I just wanted to throw this out there because it took me aloooong time to figure this out(with Gods help ....). It was a big headache. Hope this helps. Good luck everyone.
Hey guys, my car is an 89 prelude. I only posted here cuzz there was nothread for this in prelude forum. I just saw a 89 accord today in the wrecking yard. The ground was differnt. Not sure where it is in the accord. Sorry I'll keep this comment up just incase it helps some how.