General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare door key

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Stevek66
The ECU/chip technology makes sense to me now. Ideally, I would have it done at the dealership. Sounds like it may be worth the wait and higher price. I may call tomorrow (Saturday - service is open 8am-4pm) just to see if there's a chance I could get in. In not, which is likely - I think I'll make an appointment.
Getting a key made is easy and can be a walk in. The car doesn't leave the garage. They cut it hen program it witching 30 mins.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Getting a key made is easy and can be a walk in. The car doesn't leave the garage. They cut it hen program it witching 30 mins.
Well I thought I understood the technology, the method depends on the year. I'm all set, the process was easy and a walk in. Went to Manchester Honda (Conn.) today, I was there less than a half hour. A good chip key copy was made from the VIN, the car's ECU was not accessed. The tech said older Hondas chip keys can be (or are) programmed from the key itself, or totally from the VIN. The tech did take the key into the shop with him, don't know if it was still necessary to read info from the key. The price at a couple hardware stores would have been around $80. I was willing to pay the extra price and make an appointment at the dealership to have to done right. The total cost with tax at this dealership was $37.21.

Last edited by Stevek66; 09-15-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Stevek66
Well I thought I understood the technology, there's more to it. I'm all set. Went to Manchester Honda (Conn.) today, I was there less than a half hour. A good chip key copy was made from the VIN, the car's ECU was not accessed. The tech said older Hondas chip keys can be (or are) programmed from the key itself, or totally from the VIN. The tech did take the key into the shop with him, don't know if it was still necessary to read info from the key. The price at a couple hardware stores would have been around $80. I was willing to pay the extra price and make an appointment at the dealership to have to done right. The total cost with tax at this dealership was $37.21.
Nice price. When they did my wife's car it was 70 bucks. We've also had them do a couple of other things for us too. A box of fresh donuts goes a long ways.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Nice price. When they did my wife's car it was 70 bucks. We've also had them do a couple of other things for us too. A box of fresh donuts goes a long ways.
Yea I was surprised at the price. I would have been fine with $70- $80 for a good spare. I may even have them cut a spare door only key, or maybe have a hardware store do that with the new spare since it was cut based on the VIN, not a spare from my worn original.

The guy that made my key really liked my Accord. He had a 2000, same color (and style of course) and also a 5MT that unfortunately got hit and totaled.