General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer going wack-o on my '97

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Maybe a 3/4?

No matter what you will take out the cluster. Download the 94 shop manual from one of the links in the online manuals thread in the DIY section. That will show you the locations of the screws to remove the necessary components. It isn't too difficult to remove the components.

Now you have a couple of options on how to fix the speedometer. I disassembled the cluster and sent the speedometer off to a place that repairs them, so I could keep the mileage correct. It took about a week to get the speedometer back.

A new speedometer can be installed, but the mileage will start at 0. The dealership may put a sticker showing the proper mileage.

You can also install a used speedometer. The mileage will be wrong as well and you may run into the same problem later.

There were some reports that you could repair the solder joints on the board of the speedometer. If you know how to solder, then you can give this a shot. Search around for posts about speedometer repair. I know one member had success with that.

about how much does a new speedo cost? and how much to get it repaired? i know someone i can have solder it if thats the case. it works fine when it does work so it may even just be a loose connection? couldnt you alter a new speedometer to read your current mileage?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

A new speedometer is ~$150 from the discount OEM site, it is $210 as the list price (dealership price). Plus you would have to get the speedometer rolled to the correct mileage.

If you know someone that can remove the old solder on the board and put on fresh solder, then this is worth a shot.

The repair was around $120. I was just getting into DIY work, so I didn't know that the solder could be the problem. That place I sent it to did a good job, because the problem never reappeared. I don't know what they did to repair my speedometer. If you want to contact them, send me a PM and I'll give you the name of the place.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM

I know a guy thats about 30 minutes from me and he said he would do it for around $80.

BUT,

The speedometer stopped working periodically like it used to so it was not working at all the past few days so for the hell of it i fidgited with the wire bundles in the driver side corner on the windshield side and after doing that it works again but it still goes out once in a while but only for a few seconds. Im wondering if maybe i can get away with removing the bundle and spraying some contact cleaner and reconnecting it. It may very well be just a bad connection.

... At least i hope so.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 AM

ICU (Integrated Control Unit) used for multiplexing can cause this as well, its a little rectangular box right above the Cabin Fuse box.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

The 97 accord speedometer is wired directly to the VSS, so the multiplex unit should have nothing to do with this.