General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Default Stalling out

Here's my situation:
Twice now, my car has stalled out with no warning (sputtering or otherwise). it just dies. Once when the fuel light was on (15.2 gallons used), once when the fuel tank was full. the first incident (fuel light on) happened while stopping after descending a hill. the second was in a level parking lot, immediately after a good start. Fired up, idled for half a second, clattered to a stop.
A couple of things:
- No charcoal canister
- PCV breather filter (which may be on the wrong end of the system)
- she occasionally drops quite low in idle speed for (seemingly) no reason. Normal driving, like applying the brakes or shifting into reverse will cause a clattering from the exhaust vibrating while the engine drops in speed for a few seconds.
- also, the egr solenoid is making an awful BRRRZZZTTT noise when i start my car

This worries me. Should it? The car has between 225-250k on the original, non-rebuilt motor.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried checking for engine codes? See common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link.

Start the car and let it idle. Try shaking the key. Does this cause the car to stall out?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Does the car have abs? I'm guessing the noise you are hearing at start up is the abs module/pump running.....left/drivers front, behine headlight. Have someone start the car while you have you hand on the abs unit - do you feel the vibration? Check and fill brake fluid in the abs unit.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 AM

That could be it! That's the approximate location that it's coming from. (hence my assumption of egr)
My car hasn't thrown a code in a long time, I'll check tomorrow though.
A bad ignition switch wouldn't cause idle to drop significantly when I shift into reverse, would it?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

has it done this and NOT started right after? if so, you need to find out if it's fuel or spark related. based on your description of the symptoms, i'm leaning toward a spark related failure.