General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Default Stalls while driving

Fellow Honda Enthusiasts,

I own a 1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl. With 140,000 miles.

Car runs like a champ.

I am experiencing a stalling problem on occasion while cruising with the radio on.

Car starts back up shortly after. I have been driving with the radio off & have not experienced the same issue.

Strange has anyone experienced this before?

Looking for help, all the best.

TJ Honda

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

While I would not rule out the radio as cause of engine stalling, it's very unlikely the cause, and more likely coincidence. You play your radio frequently, and stalling is infrequent, hence it's much more likely that stalling occurs when radio is playing.

Since car starts immediately (?) after stalling, this problem will be difficult to find (problem goes away very quicklly), since diagnostics are not possible.

Stalling while driving can be caused by following based on my experience and posts of others. Both are about equally likely IMO:
1) fuel pump or main fuel relay faults
2) igntion keyswitch electrical fault

When stalling happens, notice whether Check Engine, Alt, and Oil Pressure lights come On (they should) or stay OFF (keyswitch fault likely). This may diagnose the problem

Since diagnostics are not easy, you might consider replacing the ignition keyswitch. Switch is about $50 and 1/2 hr for DIY'r to replace.

good luck