General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Default Starter problems

When I turn my key to start, sometimes it doesn't crank. When it does crank, the engine starts and everything is fine. This seems to happen randomly, but occurs frequently during the first start of the day. It also happens during hot or cold. The warning lights turn on and then dim as I turn to start, but there is no cranking. I have to turn the key over and over to get it started. This is a problem that has progressively gotten worse. I took it to my mechanic last year and all he did was inspect different things like starter, battery, etc. and he said there's nothing wrong. He thinks my car alarm may be interfering. I have a viper alarm with remote locks and engine killswitch only. I also have a 12" subwoofer and amp. Not sure if this matters, but my only key is not a Honda key, it's a remake. After my mechanic's inspection last year, it started just fine, which is strange since my mechanic didn't do anything to my car. Then after a few months the problem started again and progressively got really bad. I just checked my battery and it checks out to be fine. What else could be the problem?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Just for a FYI, stop by your honda dealership. They can cut a key using your VIN number. It cost me <$10 a few years back when I had my 95 accord. As long as the key you have turns the lock, then that is not your problem.

Car alarms tend to cause more problems than they prevent. Would this alarm also have a remote starter on it?

When the car is not starting, do you hear a loud click from the starter? Or do you hear nothing?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 AM

I do hear a click but it's not particularly loud. It sounds normal to me. The alarm does not have a remote start, just remote lock and kill switch.