General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problem when car sits!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
davealvarez2000
Unregistered
Default Starting Problem when car sits!

Hi everyone,
I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe 4-cylinder weird problem. I work from home most of the week and I let my car sit for 2-3 days at times. I'll take you through all the things that I have noticed and have done to my car. I will open my door and will sit in the car. I will lock the doors using the power locks but the door locks do not go all the way down (lack of electricity?). Now when that happens, I've noticed that my car will take 10 seconds to start by cranking it a lot. It feels like the battery is dead but it's not. I have changed the battery and put on new terminals. I have noticed that my stock alarm horn also sounds like it's dying (not as loud as it used to be). Once I have started the car after lots of times of trying, the car will run perfect and start most of the time in case I stop by at a store or whatever. I do have to admit that I have a powerful stereo system that may be helping to cause my problem. I'm thinking maybe my stereo system is taking too much battery power and the alternator is not charging right? But the alternator obviously works because the car runs and I don't get any lights on the dashboard telling me there's a problem with anything. My friend was saying that that engine may have bad ground to the chasis. He said to hook up jumper cables to the negative part and hook up the other end to a metal bare part on the car and see if the car starts right away to see if it's a bad grounding problem. What else could it be? I don't think it's a fuel problem because you can tell it's an electrical problem already when the power locks don't have "full juice" and the alarm sounds weak without even starting the car at all. Also, when it's really hot outside, at times it doesn't wanna start either after starting it several times and letting it cool down. Any help is much appreciated, thanks,
Dave