Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

10 things you would...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Default RE: 10 things you would...

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

I understand the whole lets buy a restored car instead of doing the work yourself for the most part. But, many guys just dont have the time or tools availible to do it themselves. Good example was my dad bought our first 79 Lil Red Express in 1986 and used it as his DD. Thenhe stopped driving it when we moved from MI to Indiana because it was getting it bad shape. Then when we moved to my old house in IL he did a few things here and there. Then when we moved where I live now, he replaced the floor panels, started working on the body, restoring the Oak wood, removing rust, and it was just waaaay to time consuming. Plus we dont have a shop or heated garage. So we sold it to a guy and his son to restore, and used the money to buy one already restored from WI. Then a couple years ago we found our first little Red with a monster of engine work done to it on eBay, but the body was still in the same shape as we had left it! You could see all the primer around all the bolts for the wood accents we had done. Thats how we knew it was ours. Just my ways of looking @ it both ways.
I hear ya. But personally, I would feel like a total chode if someone asked me something about the car I didn't know. For example: how long did it take you to restore this thing? Half of the guys that own restored cars they bought like thatprobably don't even know what kind of engine they have or anything. Kind of likenew Corvette drivers.
Unless you bought it from a little old lady that never drove it and you didn't even have to restore it. But that's a different story.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Keep in mind also that there are a lot of people who buy the eleanor kits and restore it themselves. There are even restomod kits to turn a sedan style mustang into a vert.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:49 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

I understand the whole lets buy a restored car instead of doing the work yourself for the most part. But, many guys just dont have the time or tools availible to do it themselves. Good example was my dad bought our first 79 Lil Red Express in 1986 and used it as his DD. Thenhe stopped driving it when we moved from MI to Indiana because it was getting it bad shape. Then when we moved to my old house in IL he did a few things here and there. Then when we moved where I live now, he replaced the floor panels, started working on the body, restoring the Oak wood, removing rust, and it was just waaaay to time consuming. Plus we dont have a shop or heated garage. So we sold it to a guy and his son to restore, and used the money to buy one already restored from WI. Then a couple years ago we found our first little Red with a monster of engine work done to it on eBay, but the body was still in the same shape as we had left it! You could see all the primer around all the bolts for the wood accents we had done. Thats how we knew it was ours. Just my ways of looking @ it both ways.
I hear ya. But personally, I would feel like a total chode if someone asked me something about the car I didn't know. For example: how long did it take you to restore this thing? Half of the guys that own restored cars they bought like thatprobably don't even know what kind of engine they have or anything. Kind of likenew Corvette drivers.
Unless you bought it from a little old lady that never drove it and you didn't even have to restore it. But that's a different story.
I understand that too. But my dad is a car buff too. Hes worked on them all and does all sorts of stuff. He actually is thinking about putting Nitrous in our Lil Red! Or saving up for a looong and putting a crate motor in from Mopar. All my knowledge and interest in cars comes from him.

haha New Corvette owners?! I am pretty sure its all of them. Every car show in my life the Vette owners are ******. I still dont understand why so many show up at car shows and there is no difference between theres and one of the 50 at a Dealership lot sitting outside. Its not like they are rare. May as well bring my moms Taurus! If they ever had an argument about whos Corvette is better, theyd have to judge in on paint color or a the chrome exhaust.[8D]

Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 AM

WHOA... you just hit me nerve spot with the corvette jokes... I'll just pretend the vette owners by you are dicks, I'm a recent former owner of a 1990 ZR1.

Your right it is a different style of family when you own a vette, because it's a piece of history. I've met dicks and I've met great people... just like supra owners... or 350z guys who think they have a vette....

To each their own but I dont feel like getting in an argument. Many modified vettes to the extreme out there.... But yes in some cases I know what you mean =)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: 02Hawkord

WHOA... you just hit me nerve spot with the corvette jokes... I'll just pretend the vette owners by you are dicks, I'm a recent former owner of a 1990 ZR1.

Your right it is a different style of family when you own a vette, because it's a piece of history. I've met dicks and I've met great people... just like supra owners... or 350z guys who think they have a vette....

To each their own but I dont feel like getting in an argument. Many modified vettes to the extreme out there.... But yes in some cases I know what you mean =)
So why are you a former owner of a Corvette?[8D]

haha jk. I admit, not all 100% Vette owners are as I described, but almost everyone I have come into contact with is. Just my experience!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 PM

I sold it to move out of my parents house and get a place with my g/f...

That and my dad has always had vettes..

But I totally understand what you mean...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i wouldnt do a thing with it. in fact, I wouldnt even tell anyone I won it. Hardly anyones life ever improves after winning the lottery. sure they have money, but what good is money when you have no friends?
I would stick it in a bank account somewhere only I knew about and only use when I had to. And maybe to treat myself occasionally.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Well heres my top 10...

1) Build a house in the chicagoland areawith an attached20 car garage
2) Buy a Nissan Skyline GTR R33
3) Buy a Nissan Skyline GTR R34
4) Buy the new Corvette ZR1 (so sick!)
5) Turn my 95 accord coupe into the sickest 95 alive with AWD if possible
6) Buy a nice cabin the in the north woods
7) Buy a nice *** fishing boat with all amenities of course
8) Take care of the girlfriend
9) Help out or treat my family and friends