Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

What do you think is making this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Default What do you think is making this noise?

Hi guys, gotta say this is an awesome site. This is my first post and am really hoping you can help me out. I just bought a 95 Honda Accord LS from a friend. It runs like a champ but when I turn or hit bumps this thing squeaks like crazy. He thought it was the struts, so he had those replaced. That didn't work. The mechanic he took it to said it was the upper control arm, so it was replaced. That didn't work. It seems to me like it may be the lower control arm. Its difficult for me to tell what it is because the suspension must be loaded for it to squeak. And I don't have anyone around to help me. It seems to be most noticeable when I'm turning slowly or going over a speed bump. Does this seem like it could be a lower control arm?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

How about anti-roll-bar pivot bushings?

How about testing before just replacing parts?

You already know how to make the noise (turning slowly or speed bump). Squirt some soapy water in the anti-roll-bar bushings & try to make the noise. If it's quiet, then you can try to work some silicone grease into that bushing.

Other places to check:

Radius rod goes from the lower-control arm, forwards to fasten into the frame. Loose rubber bushings at the forwards end? (those are easy to overlook)

Inboard bushings on the lower control arm? Balljoint on the outboard end of the lower control arm? If that's making the noise, replace it because it can let go & that's a big problem if it happens while driving at any speed.

Steering tie-rod outboard balljoints?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM

I think I have it narrowed down to the radius rod bushings. If i replace them, will I need to realign the vehicle?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I would have an alignment done, just because they were(?) loose. It's pretty easy for me to spend your money, huh?

I don't really know what condition the rest of your suspension is in. Nor do I know how long it's been since you last had it aligned. You have to judge that stuff.