Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Can you unhook the cassette deck for AUX input? (6G iPod)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
helixblue
Unregistered
Default Can you unhook the cassette deck for AUX input? (6G iPod)

It's my wife's birthday today, and she really wants to be able to listen to her iPod in her 6G Accord coupe. Unfortunately, her coupe has the 6-CD changer and a non-functional cassette deck. The iPod interface kits (USA SPEC, Peripheral) I can find are not compatible with Honda's with the 6-CD changer. I think the best option is to unplug the cassette deck and try to scavenge it's audio connection. Does anyone have any information on how it's hooked up? Is there an AUX input on the back of the head-unit that I can steal? I could also just fix the cassette deck and use a cassette adapter, but after trying two types of cleaning kits, I haven't the foggiest idea how to fix the thing.

I've tried the FM iPod integrationoption in her car before and was not impressed with the quality.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Can you unhook the cassette deck for AUX input? (6G iPod)

I have a Sirius radio plugged into my system via a wired FM modulator. This plugs inline in the radio lead and has a lead for the satelite radio that interrupts the FM reception whenever the satelite radio is on. This setup has no noticible noise since the FM transmission is wired and does not use an antenna to antenna signal. These adapters are available with a 3.5mm headphone connector.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
helixblue
Unregistered

Thanks for the excellent recommendation! I think I'm going to order the Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator to wire in: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-akm5IUx...x?i=142FMMOD01

Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Before you buy it, I'd look to see if there is one available that does not require the on-off switch. I'm not sure that it's out there, but the one that I'm using is automatic. Then again, it gets a signal from the Sirius radio when it powers up. It would have to recognize the presance of a music signal which may be why it needs the switch, but this is the right technology to get your wife's iPod working in the car without static.

On my gf's '01 LX, I recently installed a JVC-HDR1 head unit and the JVC iPod interface. I cut the top-rear corner of the compartment below the radio and fed the digital iPod wire through there. This way, she can hide the iPod and control it from the radio face.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Before you buy it, I'd look to see if there is one available that does not require the on-off switch. I'm not sure that it's out there, but the one that I'm using is automatic. Then again, it gets a signal from the Sirius radio when it powers up. It would have to recognize the presance of a music signal which may be why it needs the switch, but this is the right technology to get your wife's iPod working in the car without static.

On my gf's '01 LX, I recently installed a JVC-HDR1 head unit and the JVC iPod interface. I cut the top-rear corner of the compartment below the radio and fed the digital iPod wire through there. This way, she can hide the iPod and control it from the radio face.

this is still part of what I want to do....although I went Pioneer and I guess aux 2 (in the back of the HU) is supposed to control my iPod or Sirius...which ever I hook into it. (I will go the ipod route there as I rarely use my Sirius...in fact use so little I didn't even renew my contract)...although still looking into a new dvd player and such which is gonna mean a entre redo on the system as I will hook up all my other amps, EQ's and new speaks. still hunting those babies down!