Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

95 accord idling problem..please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Default 95 accord idling problem..please help

Hi to all. New to the site. I have 1995 Honda accord 2.2l 4cyl..auto. I have any overheating and idle problem. I did my timing belt and waterpump. I also changed mt therostat 3 times., and bleed the antifreeze for air. The problem that i have is when the car is warmed up to normal operating temperature the cool fan does not turn on. I checked the fuses and all the relays, they are ok. I so jumped the fan wires with a paperclip the fan comes on.
With the idle, when the car is warmed up to normal operating temperature my idle sits at 500rpms, feels like it wants to stall..[:@]. when i drive the car and come to a stop, or a red light the idle starts to rise. Idles erratically to 2500rpms the drops (continously),(bogs). Gas pedal sticks, but if i pull back on the pedal with my foot it drops to normal,until i come to another stop.
Friends told me that it was my TP sensor. Got a new one, replaced it,got a new throttle body, and also cleaned my IAC. I still have the same problem going on. If anyone could help me out or give me some tip of your own, what else the problem could be, id greatly appreciate it..Hope to hear from someone soon. Thank you,

Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Default RE: 95 accord idling problem..please help

do you have an SRI or CAI intake? if so there is a sensor that some people take out that is in the way. I rewired and rerouted mine so I could still use it. Anyway, this sensor unplugged does not cause a CEL but makes for a rough idle. Check the sensor (under the intake piping). If it's bad, a new one is about $200, If it's unplugged, PLUG IT UP! Hope this helps

Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95 accord idling problem..please help

Overheating sounds like a bad fan switch. It's in the thermostat housing, it's probably where you jumpered the wires (right)?

Fix the sticky gas pedal. That will cause problems with idle control. The gas pedal/cable should NOT hold the throttle open, even a little bit. The mechanical stop at the throttle pully should not hold the throttle open, only just enough to prevent it from wedging stuck closed.

Then you can adjust your base idle & let the ECU re-learn the idle control. Need to know how to do this?