General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord idling problem..please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Default 95 accord idling problem..please help

Hi to all. New to the site. I have 1995 Honda accord 2.2l 4cyl..auto. I have any overheating and idle problem. I did my timing belt and waterpump. I also changed mt therostat 3 times., and bleed the antifreeze for air. The problem that i have is when the car is warmed up to normal operating temperature the cool fan does not turn on. I checked the fuses and all the relays, they are ok. I so jumped the fan wires with a paperclip the fan comes on.
With the idle, when the car is warmed up to normal operating temperature my idle sits at 500rpms, feels like it wants to stall..[:@]. when i drive the car and come to a stop, or a red light the idle starts to rise. Idles erratically to 2500rpms the drops (continously),(bogs). Gas pedal sticks, but if i pull back on the pedal with my foot it drops to normal,until i come to another stop.
Friends told me that it was my TP sensor. Got a new one, replaced it,got a new throttle body, and also cleaned my IAC. I still have the same problem going on. If anyone could help me out or give me some tip of your own, what else the problem could be, id greatly appreciate it..Hope to hear from someone soon. Thank you,

Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95 accord idling problem..please help

I would check the cam timing marks incase they are off. Are there any codes stored in the ECU?

It sounds like there are two problems.

Overheating at a stop is being caused by the fan not turning on. If you jumped the cooling fan relay and the fan turned on, then the fan motor is not shot. I would say to switch the cooling fan relay with the power window relay in the fuse box in the engine bay. If your power windows don't work then replace the relay. If power windows work after switching, then I would replace the engine coolant temperature sensor A (The sensor on the thermostat housing).

As for the idling problem. I would first pull the backup fuse (7.5 amp in the upper right hand side of the engine fuse box) for a minute to reset the ECU. Its something simple to do. It could be a Fast Idle Thermo Valve problem. To test, allow the car to warm up to temp (don't allow to overheat). Pull the intake tube from throttle body. Cover the lower hole in the throttle body with your finger. If your idle smooths out, then the plunger in the FITV needs to be tightened.

If you cover both holes, the engine should sputter and die.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Hey man. I did the switch with the cooling fan relay and power window relay and power windows worked but the fan didn't go on. You told me to replace the temperature sensor and i did and the fan still didn't turn on. I also did the throttle body, i plugged the one whole and no change happened to the engine. But when i covered both holes, the engine was going to stall. Can there be something else i can do or check to find out what the prob... could be for the idle to sit low. P.S. I replaced the whole throttle body. Thanks for the help....
I posted your PM, so others can read about what you have done.

You can download a shop manual for a 94 Accord from hondahookup.com. Its pretty much the same as a 95. Just look in our DIY section for online manuals for the link. Its a ~50mb file, so hopefully you have a high speed connection.

It is an interactive pdf, so you can click on heating/AC then on A/C (chapter 22). Check 22-7 to figure out which flowchart to follow. That should get you through the testing for the fan(s) not working.

As for the idle problem: Did you unscrew the bleeder screw to bleed all the air from the coolant? That screw is on the housing where the upper radiator hose goes into the engine. Just having the radiator cap open won't get all of the air out of the system.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

If you are pulling back on the gas pedal and the RPM drops, then the cable/throttle plate is sticking or the cable has no slack in the cable at the throttle body.
Many times mental midgets tighten the throttle cable to adjust the idle higher.

here are 2 links to help you with the cooling fan problem;
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...coolingfan.gif

http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...ntrlmodule.gif