General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 LX Speedometer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM
AccordLover86
Unregistered
Question 1997 LX Speedometer Issue

So I'm new to this forum but so far in my search for answers it's been THE most helpful in diagnoses and DIY fixes! I read through a few of the other threads about speedometers, expecially the '94-'97 speedo's, and I think I know whats up with mine... Here's the deal...

Speedometer "jumps" while driving, no visible pattern (thought the dial motor might be off), and sticks in some positions (at certain speeds) from time to time.
~Odometer works, so does trip odometer.
~Cruise Control works, flawless.
~Tach/Fuel/Temp gauges all work fine.

I tore apart the dash to take a look about a week ago, what a friggin' mess, 3 hours of work! Anyway, removed the cluster to peak at the dial circuit boards ('97 not a cable) and they look fine, no corrosion or spark/melted points. I attempted to remove the dial motor (not sure if this is the right term), the actual geared device inside the speedo, but couldn't get it out without breaking something. I just put it all back together.

From what I hear on the forum, if my gauges and cruise work it's most likely the speedo itself; this means I'll have to get a new speedometer or more likely (due to the lack of parts out there) a new instrument cluster. I priced the cluster and found it for between $60.00 and $180.00 used to new.

I don't want to have to replace the whole thing if it is cheaper to just put in a new speedo, but I can't find a speedo (used or new) online or at the stores I've visited; everywhere ONLY carries the whole cluster!

So, two getting to the point, two things:
1.) Am I right in my diagnoses of the speedo being broken?
2.) if so, Where can I find a new/used working speedo for cheaper then the cluster (or should I just upgrade the cluster)?

Thanks to those who are willing to help. I'm new at all this, but since buying my Accord (The High Roller as I call it) I've become an enthusiast and a DIY guy. I love my Honda and am most likely going to purchase a newer Element as well as a newer Accord when this one bites the dust. Thanks again everyone!

~Honda Love, Michael

Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Any check-engine lights? I'll assume NO, since you didn't mention it.
Does the CEL come on (bulb check) when you first turn on the car?

Since the cruise works, and there's no CEL, then I think you're right about the speedometer gauge itself. Double check about loose/dirty/corroded wiring, but it sounds like you've already checked for that.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Question 96 Honda Accord Odometer reading

I have a 96 Honda Accord that I got a couple of weeks ago that has about 50000 miles on it. I have heard that the odometers will reset after 299999 miles back to zero is that possible. Trying to figure out if this is possible.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM

No, it is not possible. if it hits "999999" then it would roll back to 0.