General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
midsizehobbit
Unregistered
Default Speedometer Issue

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and I did read around for how to fix this. I kept seeing a term VSS thrown around and I am not sure what that means.

My speedometer just pooped out and dropped to zero while I was driving and the odometer stopped rolling miles and my trip stopped rolling. RPMs is still working and so is everything else. What exactly is my problem?

Also worth noting.... it magically started working while driving it later... and then stopped working afew minutes later.

I have not tried setting a cruise to see if that works. That is my next experiment.

I talked to an Auto Parts store guy and he said it was my speed sensor for sure. You guys' thoughts?

Walter

Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Speedometer Issue

The cruise control is important.

If the cruise works, then VSS is fine. If not, then you need a new Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

A faulty VSS should turn on the check engine light.

I had the same problem on my car. The cruise still worked, so the speedometer needed to be repaired. I spent the money and sent if off to a speedometer repair shop that I found searching the web.

Does anyone here know what they do when a shop repairs a speedometer? I wonder if its bad solder joints like the MFR?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
midsizehobbit
Unregistered

Oh, and in case its relevant, I am drivinga 91 Honda Accord SE with about 254,000 miles on it.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 PM

adding to what PAhonda says, you might alsoneed to change your instrument panel/cluster.that isif your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) stillworks meaning your cruise control is still functional. now if you could find a speedometer repair shop and does not cost you much to get it repaired,i'll get it done.I hadthe same problemwith my speedo a while back. vss was fine,but thespeedometer repair shop asking price was to much for me so i checked on line and found a junkyard that deals with honda's and acuras and they had a instrument cluster for my car for$125. bought it and thenreplaced my cluster,problem solved! i hope youget yoursfixsoon. good luck!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't want to deal with the odometer being rolled, because the price to get the speedo rolled to the correct mileage was the same as getting it repaired. Honda wouldn't roll a new speedo to the correct mileage, because it "was against their policy". They were just going to put a sticker on the new speedo that had the original mileage.

The price to get mine fixed was ~$125.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey PA or any other Forum Members, I am having problems with the speedo in a 96 accord that I bought for my 16 year old son............I got it out of the dash and figured the problem to be something mechanical because if you play with the trip odometer the speedo would start working. But I have learned that its something electrical and by shaking the trip reset it was probably just shaking a loose connection back together..........
Anyways...........my question is can you give me a company name, number, and location for me to get this speedo repaired..........

Thanks.....

Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I used a place called Powls Speedometer Repair shop. Use google to find their info.

I searched google for speedometer repair and they were the closest place for me to send my speedometer. I'm sure that other places can repair the speedometer, just call them and describe your problem before sending your speedometer to them.