General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Civic Speedometer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
maars5
Unregistered
Default 97 Civic Speedometer Issue

My wife just notified me that the speedometer and odometer in our 1997 honda civic dx has quit. The CEL also came on - but I am not sure its related becasue we have had problems with the CEL before.

Any suggestions on what i can try to check out to fix the speedo / odo before taking it somewhere to get it looked at?

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Civic Speedometer Issue

Get some auto parts store to plug in a scanner & read the error code. Its probably the VSS which is on the tranny - in placeof a speedometer cable.

I'll look for a picture, maybe a loose/dirty/corroded electrical plug??

Auto or manual tranny??

Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
maars5
Unregistered

It is an auto....
Never any problems...it just quit all of a sudden...
any idea what kind of code I am looking for?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

VSS is #8 or #17 here.

Error codes begin with letter P followed by 4 digits. Get the actual number.

Maybe P1791 for the VSS of an auto tranny. My list is for Accord, but I bet its the same numbers.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
maars5
Unregistered

I will try to find a place to check the actual code - it is a bit difficult - we are not close to auto places that offer that type of code reading service...

Before posting here I came across this (pasted below) - is there any validity to it? Could this be one cause? I know it depends on what the code reading is...so I will try attempt to get it..but I just wondered about this...

Is the sensor bad on a 1998 Honda Civic when the speedometerand the check engine light came on
In: Honda Civic [/align]

[/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Bad Sensor?
I had the exact same problem on my 1996 civic hatch 1.6 liter 4cyl. It was a simple fix once I found the problem. If you look under the intake manifold at the rear of the engine there is a pack of wires. This pack rubs on the bottom of the intake and creates a short which screws up the speedo, sets of the check engine light and gives a trouble code (if you know how to read the check engine flashes) that there is a problem with the O2 sensor, and somtimes the headlights would surge. Just crawl under the car when it is up on stands and gently turn over the pack of wires under the intake to expose the bare wire or wires. Tape them up and away you go. My car had 230,000 km when this problem occured. It was a royal pain to find but a cheap easy fix. [/align][/align][/align]

Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Might be just that. You gotta take a look since any of those wires can rub different ways or get loose or ??