General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord ex tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Default 95 accord ex tranny question

Automatic tranny, I bought the car years ago and thought the transmission was fried, come to find out it was real low on fluid, from what I remember I put dextron of some type in it and it pulled fine except for a small slip before 4th shift. Then after a few years the overdrive started acting up only going into overdrive going up an incline with steady pressure on the gas pedal, now overdrive does not engage at all. I am trying to get this road ready for my son who currently just has a learners permit. Does not using genuine Honda atf make that much of a difference? Any help appreciated.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Honda transmissions through 95 could use either Honda ATF or Dextron II. The 96 accord's shop manual said just Honda ATF, but the 94-97 have the same transmission, so I think Dextron II is good through the 97 accords.

I'd say try a fluid change and take a close look at the old fluid for metal shavings, etc. You may also want to check for engine and transmission codes. See the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum for the CEL code retrieval.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Honda transmissions through 95 could use either Honda ATF or Dextron II. The 96 accord's shop manual said just Honda ATF, but the 94-97 have the same transmission, so I think Dextron II is good through the 97 accords.

I'd say try a fluid change and take a close look at the old fluid for metal shavings, etc. You may also want to check for engine and transmission codes. See the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum for the CEL code retrieval.
thanks, I have never seen d4 light on but good place to start,,,