General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help Honda Accord 99ex

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Default RE: Please help Honda Accord 99ex

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Have you tried the "key wiggle" test I suggested?

FYI: # 10 is the switch

hondaed posted the part # earlier
ed,i tried the wiggle test but the car did not stall.i also tried putting the key to on (not start) and i didn't hear any noise in the back for fuel pump. i guess next step is main relay.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I thought about the main Relay, but i didn't think it was very typical of the main relay to cause the car to die while driving.
I agree with you ooaccord .... i have done dozens and dozens and dozens of main relays,, resolder and replace ,,and NOT ONCE ,, has the main relay killed the engine while driving ..common cause of a bad main relay is a failure to start the car when ambient temp is hot or very humid ..

Have you checked if the ign switch recall has been done ?? like it was adviced ???
after car dies ,, chk to see if engine is getting fuel.. if it is,,, most likely it is not the main relay
Also contrary to members advicing you to start replacing parts,, I would not start replacing part until you properly DIAGNOSE the problem....

Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blkhonda1999ex

ed,i tried the wiggle test but the car did not stall.i also tried putting the key to on (not start) and i didn't hear any noise in the back for fuel pump. i guess next step is main relay.
That wiggle-test is kinda one-sided.

If you can get it to stall by wiggling the key, then the electrical part of the ignition switch is the culprit.

But if it doesn't stall, that does NOT prove the switch is OK. It just means you haven't yet found the right position to get it to screw up.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda
Have you checked if the ign switch recall has been done ?? like it was adviced ???
I called Honda and I asked them about the ignition recall and unfortunately my vin# was not included to the recall.
yeah he checked with Honda.

I agree with you Desert. I would not recommend him replacing any parts just yet. He needs to do some more testing of the ignition components. I do not know how to test this, soI'll leave that up to someone that is smarter than me. Is there any way to test that without buying tools that may cost as much or more than buying the replacement part? That is usually where I draw the line. If I have a very good idea that I know what part is bad and the part is not expensive, sometimes I will replace. But that is only if I am DIYing as well.
But again, I DO NOT recommend throwing parts at it if I am not at least 80% sure I know what part is causing my problem (and the part is cheap and would likely eventually need replacement anyway.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 PM

case closed! thanks guys! replaced the main relay and all is excellent!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks for posting the fix. I am surprised..... I was sure thinking it was something in the ignition....oh well, you learn something new every day!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

case closed! thanks guys! replaced the main relay and all is excellent!

UHMM I am very surprised as well that all is fixed.. hard to believe,,

even the cannot get it out of park ??? it does not make any sense , main relay does not have anything to do with that

Old 05-16-2008, 07:51 PM

Why wouldn't it be fix? it's running excellent without stalling. My main relay was bad and was cutting off lines to my fuel so therefore the car often stall and when the car stall you wouln't be able to take the transmission out of park. You could if the car did not stall.