General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

"Lucky" - have the battery tested. I like to pull the battery after it has sat for a period of time and take it in for testing.

While the battery is out be sure to check and clean the terminals to the battery. I'd also check and clean the other "ends" of the cables.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So I have two Civics in my family. My Civic has never had this but a family member has a Civic that has this issue. It happened right in front of me once. He had his driver side door open, went to start the car and while he was holding the key cranked all we heard was a buzzing sound from the dashboard. He lets go of the key and tries to crank it and it cranks like normal. Whenever it happens for him it always happens at the first cold start of the day and it always cranks properly after he lets go of the key and tries it again.

So I googled for it a while back and it appears some people have it on a wide range of Honda's (Civics, Elements, etcetera) and the dealership told them it was normal and they even had a TSB from Honda over it that said something to the effect of turn the key faster/harder.

I've read that people replaced the starter and it didn't really do anything. Because the buzzing comes from below the dash I'm suspecting the starter cut relay that's on the under-dash fuse box, not the starter. For his Civic it's only $13.48. Not sure how much it would cost for you and whether replacing it would solve your problem.

Last edited by MessAround; 02-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hondas have also been known for the electrical part of the ignition switch to be flaky. Wiggling the key can prove a flaky switch. But if you wiggle the key and it doesn't stall, that doesn't prove a good switch.

A friend had a 2000 Civic with those kind of issues, and I opened the steering column & tested the switch. Tested good. When the problems occasionally continued, then (hindsight) I wished I had just replaced the switch.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the replies and info..It seems to work OK when I just put the key in and start it immediately..I'm due for a oil change and service next month,so I will do a battery check and mention the problem to him along with the starter cut relay..Thanks agn.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 AM

The newer generation with that starter cut off relay often makes a "buzzing" sound if the key is turned slowly. If you turn the key slowly and you get the buzzing sound then it is the starter cutoff relay which Honda states as a normal condition. If you get it to buzz while turning the key slowly but it functions fine with no buzzing sound when you just put the key in and crank it then it should be fine. For some reason that and the next generation have that symptom, and unfortunately owners of previous Honda generations who are used to turning the key to on to prime the fuel system prior to starting are the most likely to experience it. If it does it if you turn the key fast and while cranking and the car does not start then the starter cut off relay may be the issue. Personally, based on your posts I believe it is how you are going about starting the car. I mean no disrespect by saying that, I am just trying to help you save money if there is nothing wrong with the car.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your input..and it does make sense..I believe your are very correct..I'm putting the key in and starting it immediately now,with no issues so far..will keep posted and see how it goes...